Thursday 8 August 2013

My Mate Marmite

I do love a controversy, especially a daft one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjssdNNzP0

marmite

Normally the only controversy over this spread / condiment is whether one likes it or hates it. The taste really does polarise people on it. Me? I love it.

However it's not the taste that's being targetted now, oh no; it's the latest advert for it (youtube link above) - "End Marmite Neglect"


Why is it causing controversy?

Well it seems that some people take offence at the advert, yes, they find it offensive. They claim it demeans the work of the RSPCA and the NSPCC and carries heavy overtones and child and animal abuse, especiall with it being aired so close after the case of a 4yr old girl who was sadly abused to death.

Personally I think the advert is intended, and succeeds in being, funny. The people I've shown it too have laughed at it.

I have to admit, I don't find it humours me, but neither am I offended by it, in fact I think it's not a  great advert. The only part about it that works for me is the last segment where we see a family tucking in to some tasty looking Marmite crumpets and the youngest pulls a face.

I really and honestly can't see where people get the sensation that it's offensive, nor can I see how it demeans the work of the RSPCA or the NSPCC - it's an advert, and not a good one, it's just bland TV, and if people don't like it they can change channel, make a cuppa, or put up with it while they wait for 1:40 for the ad to end or their show to come back on.

Really, it's a fuss over nothing people. Get off your PC bandwagons and stop giving the nanny state more ammunition to censor us in to eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment